Monday 26 February 2024

Suburban Home on UMFM 101 5 - Andrew Neufeld (Comeback Kid)

 

Picture credit: Aaron Schwartz


Welcome to Suburban Home: At Home. This is the show where we showcase the best of hardcore, alternative, emo, punk and everything in between. This past week, I had a great time speaking with Comeback Kid vocalist Andrew Neufeld. We talked about the upcoming tours (including the cross-Canada tour with Spy in March-April) and the new EP 'Trouble', out March 15th on Nuclear Blast/Sharptone/New Damage Records.

(This interview was conducted on February 12th, 2024)
 
How would you say the new songs compare to the last record, Heavy Steps?
 
AN: I would say it's more of a continuation than anything. Most of these ideas are from that era.
 
What are your influences on the new EP?
 
AN: Lots of different stuff, from alternative rock on Trouble in The Winner's Circle to classic hardcore and Nine Inch Nails on some of the other tracks. As a personal thing, my biggest influences vary but can be mostly be found in hardcore. From old classic hardcore like Madball and Bane to new stuff like Deez Nuts and AFI. When we were writing [Trouble in the Winner's Circle], I even heard a lot of AFI influences seep through my writing.

You are no stranger to features. Can you talk about some of the notable recent ones you've done in the past?

AN: Sure. The Ignite and The Amity Affliction parts were both knocked out in the same afternoon/session last summer. Those were 2 really fun ones, especially working with the guys in Ignite. The Silverstein feature [Die Alone] was another fun one as living in Toronto, I'm naturally pretty close with them (especially Shane). They asked me to come on and I did it in a session, I feel like I brought out my inner Chris Hannah [Propagandhi frontman] on that one with my delivery! When Silverstein and my band were both on tour with Senses Fail and Koyo in Europe, I missed the guest vocal the first time live! Shane came up to me and was like, hey, you have to come do this! So every date after that, we would finish our set, Silverstein would go on and I would go take a shower, and run on stage just in time to do the Die Alone feature. It was pretty awesome.

How would you compare the Winnipeg music scene to the Toronto music scene?

AN: So, I'm only familiar with the band's themselves, Trial Time, Human Target, Propagandhi of course. I haven't been in the Winnipeg show scene for a while since moving out here a bit ago. But I do want to say this. For a serious band, I think it's easier to tour and get your start in Toronto than in Winnipeg for obvious reasons. Toronto is just so close to everything, and we have great venues like History and The Opera House here. Toronto is ultimately Canada's Los Angeles in a sense, as far as music goes.

Can we talk about your upcoming tours?

AN: Yeah! Our first stop is South America, it starts February 21st. We're going to Brazil, Chile, Uruguay for the first time and Costa Rica. South America is HUGE for hardcore. After that is the Canadian tour with Spy from California. We're going east coast to west coast, as far as Halifax to Van City. SPY was only originally only supposed to play Vancouver to Montreal but due to demand they got added to every date. April 3rd is the hometown show at the Park Theatre, you guys have some wicked hardcore bands there like Human Target and I'm really excited to announce who the openers are for each city. We have a few smaller venues like our Toronto and Edmonton dates but we are not upgrading venues. Once tickets are gone, they're gone. So depending on when this goes up, you might want to check your local joints for that stuff. In the summer, we're doing Europe, festival season. We can't wait for that.

*as of the posting of this, Winnipeg and Toronto tickets are quite low!*

What is your personal favorite track from the EP? 

AN: I'll say 3 and 4; if you ask Jeremy he'll likely say 2 as that one was his baby. That's the thing about this ep is woth our collaborative efforts and with different people bringing different influences to each song, there's a song for every sort of punk fan on here.

Check out Comeback Kid's new release, "Trouble", out March 15th.
Check out the links below for Andrew's links + CBK links.











No comments:

Post a Comment