Thursday 9 November 2023

The Beaches "Blame My Ex Tour" Show Review - November 5th, 2023 (Winnipeg, Manitoba @ The Burton Cummings Theatre)

 

The Beaches w/ special guests Beach Weather show review (November 5th, 2023) (poster courtesy of The Burton Cummings Theatre website)

Toronto indie/alt-pop four-piece The Beaches took the stage alongside Beach Weather on Sunday night at the Burton Cummings Theatre, as part of the 2023 Blame My Ex tour, in support of their album of the same name, which came out in September on AWAL Recordings.

The night opened promptly at 8pm, with Beach Weather from Massachusetts, USA. They play a brand of jangly indie and pop rock similar to most of The Beaches recent stuff, however I would more accurately compare them to a band such as The Neighborhood, The Wallows or Hotel Ugly; something more in that laidback indie feel.

Beach Weather played about 40 minutes of their material, which is great for a highlight reel of what they offer in terms of their tunes. They played a handful of their popular songs from their two 2016 EP's, 'Chit Chat' and 'What a Drag', and some from their most recent album, 'Pineapple Sunrise', including their viral-on-the-internet hit, Sex, Drugs, Etc. (which was first released on their debut EP, but rereleased years later). The bands' live stage presence and vibe oozes sunny day beach vibes, and frontman Nick Santino (of A Rocket to the Moon fame) oozes sexual attitude with a great voice. What I enjoyed about these guys live presence the most, is their dynamics; a tendency to go from a great power pop tune to an emotional, rock 'n roll destruction fest with their instruments in mere minutes. 

The Beaches came on stage at 9:10pm, and delivered a set of both new and old hits and album cuts, including their latest album being played in full. Other favorites that aren't found on Blame My Ex include Grow Up Tomorrow, T-Shirt and Money. The only song that I noticed that was notably missing from any of their setlists (including this one) was Lame, but I'm not complaining. A major highlight of their set included Nick from Beach Weather coming on stage to sing with Jordan for My Body ft. Your Lips. Other notable moments included the crowd chanting enthusiastically during the song that changed The Beaches lives', 'Blame Brett', which went viral on TikTok this year, as well as the acoustic performance of If A Tree Falls - a personal favorite track of mine from this album.

The sold-out Beaches show at the Burton Cummings Theatre lived up to my expectations, and even smashed some. I've been looking into going to more indie/pop-centered shows, and this one was an extremely fun one, and a band I'll be looking more into as well as attending more shows in the future. I think the only thing that hindered my excitement a little bit was just how big the sold-out crowd was, and being pushed back slowly (I was on the floor for reference). Overall, I'll give this experience a 4/5 stars. Much love to The Beaches and Beach Weather, and I wish them well on the rest of their tour, where they go out to western Canada, then Europe later this month and USA (again) next year!

-Fish 

The Beaches 'Blame My Ex' now available on streaming services and thebeachesband.com

Blame My Ex Streaming

The Beaches Music, Merch + More


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment